9.2.0-20 allows for custom firmware to be set up and provides the most compatibility with homebrew and 3DS flashcarts (such as Sky3DS or Gateway).
- The Homebrew Launcher installed on your 3DS
- The latest release of sysDowngrader
- Downgrade Files (Choose correct console and region):
YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT FILE OR YOUR SYSTEM WILL BRICK.
Install uTorrent to be able to open the file you download:
New 3DS Downgrade Files
Old 3DS Downgrade Files
Prepare your SD Card
- Extract the sysDowngrader .zip to the root of your 3DS SD card
- Delete any “updates” folder already on your SD Card if there is any
- Copy the “updates” folder from the 9.2.0 firmware .zip to the root of your SD card
Caution and Disclaimers:
- These tools have a very small chance of causing a “soft brick” on your 3DS once the downgrade is complete and the device reboots.
If this happens it can only be fixed by using recovery mode (A + R + L + Up on the D-Pad) to update to the latest system version.
- If you are on version 11.0.0 thru 11.2.0, you MUST have downgrade your firmware using this guide FIRST.
- If sysDowngrader crashes at any point during the downgrade you must downgrade a second time to install any files that were not installed. Browserhax will work for partial downgrades as long as you are using the recommended version of sysDowngrader.
Downgrading your 3DS
- Boot into the Homebrew Launcher (hold down the R button on boot if you used my previous guide)
- Open sysDowngrader
- Press (Y) to downgrade to 9.2.0
- If you are stuck being unable to acquire the am:u service, power off your 3DS by holding the power button and try again (this can take many tries)
- Wait; do not touch anything even if it appears to freeze
- If, after around 30 seconds, it is still frozen, it is safe to power off and try again
- If you get an error before installation, power off your 3DS by holding the power button and try again (this can take many tries)
- If you get an error in the middle of installation, start from step 1 again.
- If you freeze on the “Rebooting in 10 seconds” line for longer than 10 seconds, it is safe to power off your 3DS by holding the power button
- Clear Home Menu’s extdata by navigating to
/Nintendo 3DS/(32 Character ID)/(32 Character ID)/extdata/00000000/on your SD card
- EUR Region: Delete
- JPN Region: Delete
- USA Region: Delete
- KOR Region: Delete
- TWN Region: Delete
- EUR Region: Delete
- Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS and boot
- If you still get a black screen after downgrading and deleting the folder, follow this troubleshooting guide
- Reinstall the Homebrew Launcher.
Now you can install custom firmware and most 3DS flashcarts will work!