With the release of SX OS v1.3 we now have Switch eShop game support as well as LayeredFS support. Switch eShop games come in an .nsp file format. Unlike the drag-and-drop regular Switch backup games in .xci format, eShop .nsp games need to be installed on the Switch via the DevMenu using LayeredFS. Follow this simple tutorial play Switch eShop games on SX OS. This will work even if you’ve been banned from the Nintendo eShop/online.
Requirements to play Switch eShop games on SX OS
- SX OS/SX Pro
- Pokemon Quest (free from eShop) OR South Park: The Fractured but Whole .XCI
- DevMenu (download below)
- microSD card
Part 1: Prepare your Switch
Download Pokemon Quest from the eShop. This game will be our donor game that we will modify using LayeredFS to run the DevMenu we need to be able to install .nsp eShop titles.
If your Switch has been banned from the eShop (WORKAROUND/FIX)
Download South Park: The Fractured but Whole .XCI and use this game as the donor game for the DevMenu. Put the .xci on the root of your micro SD card to use with SX OS.
Part 2: Prepare micro SD Card
- Insert your Switch’s micro SD card into your computer
- Download the DevMenu for your title:
- Make a folder on the root of your Switch micro SD card called “sxos”. In that folder maker another folder called “titles”.
- Copy the contents of the DevMenu download into the “titles” folder.
- Put the NSP you want to install on your micro SD card. It can be on the root of your micro sd card or in an nsp folder.
Your SD Card should look similar to the screenshot below. Note the file tree.
The file structure for Pokemon Quest should be:
The filre structure for South Park: TFBW should be:
Part 3: Install the NSP eShop game
- Boot into SX OS using a jig tool/SX Pro dongle or other method and choose “Boot custom FW” option.
- Launch the donor title that you are using (I’m using South Park).
- The DevMenu should appear. If the DevMenu GUI is a glitched, press the HOME button and re-enter the game.
- On the “Application” tab, select “Install from SD” and it should locate the .NSP eShop titles on your micro SD.
- Navigate to the NSP you want to install and press A to begin the installation
- You can choose to install it to the SD card or the system memory. Select an option with A, then press A on “Start”
- The NSP will now install. Depending on the size of the game, it might take a couple of minutes.
- After the installation is complete, press A on “Close” and exit the donor game.
- After closing out of the donor game, your new game should show up on the Home menu!
SX OS NSP Menu
As of SX OS version 1.5, the DevMenu method of installing NSP files is no longer needed. Now, a simple to use NSP installer is built into the SX OS Menu. It even supports batch installing of NSP files so you can install all of your NSP games in one go.
In order to use the built-in NSP installer you need to have your SX OS CFW updated to the latest version. If you are already on the latest version you can skip steps 1 and 2 below.
- Go to sx.executor.com and download the latest version of SX OS
- Place the boot.dat file in the root of your Switch micro SD card (ie. sd:/boot.dat)
- Download and place NSP game files on your Switch micro SD card. SX OS scans the following directories for NSP files:
- Boot into CFW using SX Pro/USB cable, SX OS jig tool, and by holding the POWER + VOLUME UP buttons
- Launch the SX OS menu by entering the Switch “Album” application
- Navigate to the “Install” menu where you will see all of your installable NSP files
- Select the game(s) and Press A to install (Y to select games for a batch install)
- Press A to confirm storage target or X to change it.
- Wait for the game(s) to install
- Enjoy your game! Notice that is shows no gamecart icon next to the game title.